Breaking News
You are here: Home / News / Africa / Twitter blocks Desmond Tutu during spam cleanup

Twitter blocks Desmond Tutu during spam cleanup

08.08.13_technewsrprt_img_stories_regina-timothy_desmond-tutu

Just hours after Retired South African archbishop Desmond Tutu launched a Twitter account, he found it blocked for “aggressively following” other users.

Earlier, Tutu, who officially retired from public life in 2010, had been widely welcomed to Twitter. His first tweet read: “In an ode to the words spoken by Mandela when he retired from public life: ‘I am elderly and decrepit. Don’t tweet me; I’ll tweet you!’ DT.”

His foundation expressed dismay at the decision.

The foundation suggested “the number of people who followed @TutuLegacy in a short space of time,” may have also been to blame.

“I hope the powers that be at Twitter find it in their hearts to fix the problem and let us communicate again,” Tutu’s daughter Mpho said.

The suspension was only temporary, however, and on Thursday afternoon the foundation said it had received an apology. “Twitter says it’s ‘sorry for the inconvenience’ over our suspension,” it tweeted. “We got caught up in a spam cleanup. Glad it wasn’t something we said.”

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInPin it on PinterestSubmit to redditSubmit to StumbleUponShare on Tumblr

Close
Please support the site
Let's connect on our social media pages

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

Skip to toolbar