Woman electrocuted while using the iPhone 5, Apple to investigate

Just a few days after a Galaxy S3 exploding in a woman’s pocket causing third degree burns on her thigh, a woman has apparently been killed by electrocution while using her iPhone.

The 23-year-old Chinese woman named Ma Ailun woman from China’s western Xinjiang region had plugged her iPhone into a power outlet to charge when the smartphone received a call. She left her bath to picked up the device to answer the call, at which point she was electrocuted and died.

Ma’s older sister is now calling on Apple to provide an explanation as to why this happened.

According to Xinhaunet, Ma Ailun, from China’s western Xinjiang region and a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, bought the iPhone in December at an Apple store and was using the original charger to charge it.

Apple is investigating an accident. “We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,” Apple’s Beijing-based spokesperson Carolyn Wu told ABC News.

A report by the CCTV indicates that Ms. Ma may have been using a third-party adapter. The CCTV broadcast stated that the woman was using a “non-Apple iPhone charger”, a claim echoed by the SCMP. Looking at photos of the iPhone in question, it looks to me like a standard Hong Kong charger with an adapter on the end so it can be plugged into Chinese sockets.

Apple has recently begun a major push into the Chinese market. In April Tim Cook apologized to Chinese consumers for what he said were misunderstandings about Apple’s repair and warranty policy in the country after its after-sales service suffered more than two weeks of condemnation by the state-run media. In 2011, China became Apple’s second-largest market, behind the U.S.

Apple reported that it had sold $8.8bn (£5.8bn) of goods in China over the January-to-March quarter, with iPhones sold from its 11 stores in the country in addition to 19,000 other third-party retailers.

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInPin it on PinterestSubmit to redditShare on Tumblr

Written by admin

This article has 1 comment

  1. Pingback: Woman electrocuted while using the iPhone 5, Ap...

Leave a Reply